New Castle, Delaware
Community History and Archaeology Program
Online Resources about New Castle
||Census, tax, births, deaths, marriage, burials
||Genealogies, wills, diaries, biographies
||Theses, Student Papers
Official documents, court records, laws
Documents Relating to the History of the Dutch and Swedish Settlements on the Delaware River (1651-1681)
"New York Historical Documents"
Original Land Titles also known as the
Duke of York Record
- Records of the court of New Castle on Delaware 1676-1681
William Penn's Charter of Libertie (1682)
- 1724 Charter of New Castle
A Calendar of Delaware Wills, New Castle County, 1682-1800
Laws of the state of Delaware
vol 1 | vol 2
1829 vol 1
1859 vol 11 Act to extend limits of the Town of New Castle (1855) Map
1873 vol 14
1875 vol 15
An act to incorporate the City of New Castle
An act to lay out and open certain new streets
Removal of coal pier to protect harbor
Vacation of certain streets Portions of Larkin, Johnson, Fourth Streets
1913 vol 27
Trustees of Green, Market, Immanuel, Courthouse
New Castle City Charter:Boundaries, name, officers, election, oath, duties of the mayor, council ...
The Earliest Printed Laws of Delaware
Laws of New-Castle, Kent and Sussex Counties, upon Delaware. Printed by B. Franklin 1742.
Book available at Delaware Historical Society. Google snippet view available online
- New Castle Orphans Court
Histories, Guidebooks and Traveler's Reports
Architectural Descriptions, Renovation Plans, Zoning
1810 Lunt, Farmer's Bank Assurance Co. (1958)
1925 White Pine George Read, II House Architectural monograph, (10mb !!) drawings
1926 White Pine Architectural Monograph: New Castle, Delaware, an Eighteenth
Century Town(pdf, 8mb)
1926 White Pine Series: Kensey Johns House (pdf, 5mb)
Homes of Sen. Nicholas Van Dyke by Judge R. Rodney
Historical American Buildings Survey (HABS, 1934):
Amstel House, Kensey Johns Sr. House,
Town Hall, Nicholas Van Dyke Jr. House (400 Delaware)
1949 Report by Perry, Shaw, and Hepburn/Pope and Kruse with introduction to New Castle by
Anthony Higgins (pdf, 8mb)
HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT: THE OLD DUTCH HOUSE, 1682-1823
Structural report by Jeff Klee (8 MB)
Census and tax records, births, deaths, marriage, burials, city directories
Federal census for New Castle 1800-1870
1885 Street level City Directory
Immanuel Church Vital Statistics 1714-1985
Presbyterian Church Records 1700-1965
Boyd 1874 City Directory of New Castle -- people and occupations and businesses
Genealogies, wills, inventories, birth records and biographies
Biographical and Genealogical History of the State of Delaware
Robert Clay and Ann Curtis
- Van Dyke Family
- Rossiana: Genealogy of the Ross and Read families (American part)
- Historical Reminiscences of the McCulloughs, 1860, by a firsthand victim of the fire of 1824
- Calendar of Delaware Wills, New Castle County (1682-1800)
- Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania Van Leuvenigh, Armitage, McWilliam, Van Dyke, du Pont
- Life and Correspondence of George Read, by William T. Read
- Wills and Inventories
||Samuel Silsbee, 1751, carpenter, Dutch House, 32 E. 3rd St.
||Mary Thompson, 1795, Dutch House, 32 E. 3rd St
||Richard McWilliam, Esq, 1785, Lawyer, private banker, 8 The Strand
||George Read (II), Esq, 1836, Lawyer, U.S. Attorney, 42 The Strand
| ||X||Hugh Mercer, blacksmith, 126 Harmony St.
Theses and Student Papers
Students spend considerable effort gathering valuable information for their theses and papers. Unfortunately, in the case of most papers,
the detailed work
disappears at the end of the semester. These student papers were
written for graduate school classes and not as polished professional presentations. However they are filled with interesting results
of the student's research.
In all the cases below, I have contacted the authors and gotten their permission to reproduce their work, with the exception of
Stuart P. Dixon, who died in 2008.
- William F. Holmes, 1961, "The New Castle And Frenchtown Turnpike and Railroad Company 1809-1838" (29 mb)
- Eliza Wolcott Morehead, 1971, "George Read (II) and His House"
- Louise B. Heite, 1978, "New Castle under the Duke of York"
- Lucille Toro, 1971, "The Latrobe Survey of New Castle".
- Robert Curtice Cottrell, 1991, "Town Planning in New Castle, Delaware, 1797-1838" (3 Mb)
- Kristen Wildes, 2003, "The Preservation of Historic New Castle: A Study in Perceptions"
- Elizabeth Peebles, 2010,
"The moderate and the modern Aladdin buildings in Delaware 1914 - 1920". Includes kit-built 166 W. 3rd.
- Student Papers
- Madelyn Ladner, 1983, Practice NRHP nomination form for L. E and J. T. Eliason Houses, 72, 80 W 5th St.
- Stuart P. Dixon, 1983, Practice NHRP nomination for "Ira Lunt House Complex", 227 Chestnut Street (pdf 7 mb)
- Annette Woolard-Provine, 1983, Practice NHRP nomination for Mt. Salem Methodist Episcopal Church, 138 E. Fourth St.
- Susan Williams, 1988,"The John Wiley House -- An Urban Case Study in Federal New Castle", 18 E 3rd St. (pdf, 8MB)
- Julia (Wellman) Hess, 1989, "Changes in an Old New Castle Row House", Cloud's Row
- Christopher Schroeder, 1991, "The Hermitage Plantation: A landscape of Social Distance in Federalist New Castle
- Constance Anderton, 1992, "A Brief Study of the McWilliam House, (Number 8, The Strand,
New Castle) During the Eighteenth Century (pdf, 1.5 mb)
- Ellen (Felser) Morfei, 1993/4, "Symbol of Social Change: The Archibald Alexander House" (26-28 E. 3rd St.)
- Eric J. Borden, 1997, "Booth House 212-214 Delaware Street"
- Elizabeth W. Garrett, 2004, "Purpose Built: The George B. Rodney House and Law Office
14-16 E. Third St., New Castle, Delaware" (pdf, 1.7 mb)
- Amy S. Mann, 2004, "The Middle Class in Nineteenth Century New Castle: 127-129 Harmony Street and the Family Who Built It
- Rachel Delphia, 2004, "Separated Spaces, Multiple Uses: Exploring Family Living and Tenancy in the Hugh Mercer House, 1803-1830." 126 Harmony St.
- Lisa Minardi, 2004, "All in the Family: Sociability and Service in the Darragh Household", 19 E 2nd
- Justina Barrett, 2004, "The embedded meanings of Front Street: The tension between commercial and residential landscapes in 24 The Strand"
- Karen Gloyd, 2004, "Ornament and Economy: Case Study of a House on Front Street, New Castle, DE, 27 The Strand"
- David Amott, 2005, "A House of a City Builder, 11 & 13 Market Street New Castle, Delaware" 11, 13, 15 & 17 E 2nd